Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

Marine Corps Birthday Ball

November 10th marked the 233rd birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Five years ago on November 10th as I made my evening commute listening to the radio, I hung on every word as the history of the Corps was described in great detail by the radio host. I was moved by what I heard and somewhat ashamed that much of what I learned was new to me. I felt a connection in some strange way. The host went on to talk about the time honored tradition of Marines celebrating the birthday of the Corps, the gathering (now the Marine Corps Ball) and the ceremonial cake cutting recognizing the oldest and youngest Marines in attendance. When the radio show ended, I remember feeling sad because I wanted to hear more.

The following year my son Adam joined the Marines. He seemed to find his niche in life and became part of a very special family. As he prepared for his first Birthday Ball, the excitement was contagious. Who would think a “Ball” would be so important to a 20 year old, or at least my 20 year old? After months of planning and anticipation, my heart broke as his date stood him up. We later heard he had a great time anyway but it was heart breaking none the less, especially since it would be Adam's only Ball.

Last Saturday, my husband and I attended our fourth Marine Corps Birthday Ball. When our son was killed in Iraq, we inherited his “family,” the Marine Corps. Marines take care of their own. Adam was one of theirs. When he died, they made us theirs as well.

Parents of Marines rarely become part of the Marine Corps family in the way we have. The Marines have watched over us, cared for us and loved us, and by doing so, they have honored our son.

Today November 10, 2008 the 233rd birthday of the Marine Corps, I visited Adam's grave, and there I found a piece of birthday cake from the Ball and a pair of white gloves placed lovingly on his headstone. His family had not forgotten him.


No comments:

Post a Comment